Sunday, October 17, 2010

TSITS: Wikipedia

TSITS scenario time: You're in a jam. You need some data fast. But where to get it? If only I knew the state tree of Wyoming! Where can I find this information? A state website? Please, I need that beta post haste, I don't have time to wade through typical government red tape and bureaucracy. If only there was a place for me to go where I could find that info as well as Genesis' catalogue, the history of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the definition of comma splice and a biography of Ron Popeil.

Well friends, you are in luck because such a place exists and let me assure you that it's the shit. That place? Wikipedia. Say it with me now, BAILOUT!

My first run in with the Wiki was junior year of college, well before I knew that it was not academically appropriate/necessary to cite Wiki in papers - typical east coast liberal elitists just judging me from their ivory towers - I was scrambling to prepare for a test on a book that I hadn't exactly read. So I needed some definitions stat. Once I exhausted the books index I went to the googles and one site kept coming up in my search results and answering all of my questions. You got it, Wikipedia. I was hooked.

I mean seriously this place has it all. It is perfect for the curious individual to learn about stuff. I'm not talking about heavy brain lifting, just some basic online book learnin'. Now I know people can edit the articles as they see fit and that if you really want to learn something you should read a book or whatever. But the Wiki is perfect for that head scratcher that you can't solve. It's also a great time waster. I love just getting lost in Wiki and checking out mid-90's hockey player bios, random company history and of course checking to see if someone has written an article about me. I'll give you a hint: Not yet.

A friend of mine loves Wiki. She loves it so much that she actually donates to keep it running. While I don't share her generosity, I share her respect for it. It's the site that the internet was made for - a catch all information dump where people can go to one off and get their information free of charge. What else could you ask for? The answer is nothing, but if you do think of something, look it up in Wiki, I bet you'll find your answer.

For it's endless source of information, entertainment and fun that Wikipedia is the shit that is the shit.




1 comment:

  1. All points very well taken. When Wikipedia made its fundraising solicitation, I decided to poll the wikiuniverse to find out whether people in fact were interested in putting their money towards that wikicause. The poll shows the wikiverse split exactly down the middle on the question. If any of your readers are interested in voting in the poll or reading about the "typical east coast liberal elitists just judging [you] from their ivory towers" point of wikiview, click here: http://questionspresented.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/using-discovery-to-build-a-record.

    ReplyDelete